Daniel Pennie is a practitioner of both Art and Music. He studied BA Fine Art at the University of the West of England, MA/PG Dip Contemporary Music & Culture at Bath Spa University and gained a Post Graduate Certificate in Education from the University of Reading.
As well as over 15 years teaching experience in Art & Design, specialising in Fine Art, he is currently a Senior Music Lecturer at Southampton Solent University in the School of Media, Arts & Technology. He has also been appointed External Examiner for Contemporary Art Practice at Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen.
Senior Lecturer: (09/12 to present) Southampton Solent University, Faculty of the Creative Industries. BA hons Art & Music programmes, Specialising in; Experimental Music Performance, Film Music, Sound Design, Moving Image, Fine Art, Visual Communication, Creative Industry Development, Perspectives & Theory.
Roles: Major Project – Unit Leader, Music Perspectives – Unit Leader, Creative Music Development – Unit Leader, Experimental Music Performance – Unit Leader, Top-Up – Level Tutor for Music Production/Performance, UK & International Students.
Course Leader/Developer: (9/08–3/10) University of West London, BA hons Fine Art – ‘A unique perspective on Contemporary Art practices and theories, including developments in New Media technologies and explorations in Cross-Platform Medias inc. Photography, Film, Sound & Installation Art’.
Unit Leader: (8/07–3/10) TVU/University of West London, BA hons Music. Experimental Sound.
Course Leader: (8/04–8/08) TVU/University of West London – National Diploma in Art & Design. Specialising in Fine Art, Painting & Sculpture, 3D Design, Printmaking, Photography & Graphic Design.
Pathway Leader: Art Foundation (8/03–8/04) TVU/University of West London – Art & Design. Specialist Areas: Historical & Contextual Studies, Fine Art & Visual Communication.
PGCE – Post Graduate Certificate in Education. (02-03) University of Reading, Faculty of Creative Industries. Specialist Subjects: Fine Art, Graphic Design, Printmaking, Photography, Experimental Sound & Music Making, Visual Culture, Historical & Contextual Studies.
MA/PG Dip (96-97) Bath Spa University. Contemporary Music & Culture. Research: ‘The Imaginary Soundtrack’
BA hons Fine Art 2:1 (90-93) UWE – University West of England. Research: ‘Image World: Art & Media Culture’
Foundation Diploma Art & Design (88- 90) – Bath Spa University (commendation)
Selected Exhibitions, Performance & Releases:
– NOISE IN YOUR EYE – Improvised Audio/Visual Performance, Solent University (2014) Artist/Performer.
– STOMACH – GROUP Exhibition, British Arts Council. Hoxton Arches Gallery, London.(2014) Artist.
– SOLO Exhibition & On-Line Web Launch @ NIYE Gallery (2013) Artist.
– SOLO Exhibition of ’Recent Work’ @ Jewry St Gallery, Winchester (2013) Artist.
– MAD BAND: 3rd album w/Keith Tippett in production (2013 -) Musician/Composer.
– TIPPETT-CHIVERS-PENNIE (NIYE): ’Touch the Water’ – Recording (2012) Musician/Composer.
– MAD BAND: Videos released: ‘In The Moment’ (2012) Musician/Composer.
– HEAD FULL OF MUSIC – Vol 1 & 2 Music download compilations, Inner Cinema Label (2011 – ) Founder.
– CLASSWAR KARAOKE 0015 Survey – MAD BAND w/Keith Tippett – Why Not (05:16) (2011) Musician/Performer/Composer.
– MAD BAND @ Raahen, Finland: Jazz on the Beach Festival (2010) Artist/Performer.
– MAD BAND @ Bath Festival w/ Keith Tippett (2010) Artist/Performer.
– ‘CHECK-POINT VALKYRIE’ Sound Design Installation @ TENT London (2010) Sound Artist.
– MAD BAND CD release: ‘Made in the Moment’ (2010) Musician/Composer.
– MAD BAND CD release: ‘Adventures of…’ (2009) Musician/Composer.
– NIYE: Hornography (2007), The Dark Spot (2008), Pink Neon (2008). Artist/Musician/Composer.
– SOLO Exhibition: ‘THE DARK SPOT’ (stills from video) TVU gallery (2008) Artist.
– MAD BAND @ Ebenezer Chapel – Improvisation Music Performance (2008) Musician/Composer.
– THE WATER ORCHESTRA @ Prague: Sound Performance (2007) Artist/Performer.
– GEOFFREY ORYEMA CD release: ‘Words’ (2004) Musician.
– TELEPATHY @ WOMAD – Caceras, Spain (1998) Artist/Performer.
– TELEPATHY @ WOMAD – Venice, Carnival of Venice & Water-Aid (1997) Artist/Performer.
– TELEPATHY @ WOMAD – Whirl-y-gig – London UK (1997) Reading UK (1996-7 x2), Artist/Performer.
– LOOPHOUSE Multimedia: (1996/7) Music Composition: Sky, Workhouse MM, Real World, WOMAD – MD.
– TELEPATHY: Hybrid CD with Interactive-Rom (1995/7) Visual & Audio – Composer/Musician.
– SOLO Exhibition: ‘THE END’ (1994) – Installation work at various sites, Bath and Bristol – Artist.
– ‘START 93’ – GROUP Exhibition (1993): Plymouth Arts Centre , Representative for South West Arts – Artist.
– SOLO Exhibition: ‘ATTRIBUTE’ (1992) Mezzanine Gallery, University of the West of England – Artist.